A love of cats makes New York City a great place to live – even for the cats. You see them everywhere, feral and domestic, at least one for every personal lifestyle and community.
by David Stone
for The Roosevelt Island Daily News
As an animal lover, I’m extremely grateful that my domesticated pet of choice does not demand walks out in all kinds of weather at all hours. And they’re so effortlessly clean and well-groomed. I thought about that when coming up with 10 reasons why New York City is a great place to be a cat. But that was about me. Still, these are endearing qualities that convince us to go out of our way in making life good for them.
Don’t get me wrong. I love dogs, too. And rabbits and birds and even reptiles. The animal kingdom is an unending source of amazement, but at least in New York City, a lot of them would be happier as cats.
Gotham cats are smarter too because of their exposure to the smartest people in the world – although a lot of them are visitors. That’s along with being the most pampered, beautiful and admired. It just goes with the territory, from Red Hook out to Fordham Road.
Counting down the evidence: Why New York City is the best place to be a cat
10. You know that cats have it too good when a cat café in Manhattan is housed in a penthouse apartment with panoramic views of Central Park.
9. Although most cats prefer Uber to subways, dozens of cats live and roam freely through the underground tunnels citywide, starting as far north as 125th Street.
8. Alley cats have it better in New York City than anywhere else – they scavenge for food with less fear of being attacked by dogs or other predators. And supplies are plentiful as restaurants overcharge for more food than most people want or can eat.
7. A recent study found that cats living in multi-unit dwellings (like apartments and condos) were much more likely to be overweight than cats living in single-family homes. And nobody calls any parts of the bodies “love handles.”
6. In New York City, it’s not uncommon to see cats perched atop fire escapes or taking a nap on a sunny windowsill. There is plenty of leisure and great places for indulging in it.
5. There are more than a dozen veterinary clinics specializing in cats throughout the city, so felines can always get the best care – like it or not.
4. You’re never more than a few blocks away from a pet store that sells high-quality cat food and supplies. And expensive toys they won’t like because they prefer cardboard or scrap paper.
3. The city’s robust feral cat population means there’s always someone to play with, whether it’s in Central Park or at any impromptu space across the five boroughs.
2. New York City is home to some of the world’s most prestigious cat shows like The CFA-Iams Cat Championship held each year in Madison Square Garden. Millions of dollars coated in cat fur wander around, waiting for the next treat or looking for napping space.
1. There’s no better place to be a cat than New York City! With so many options for food, fun, and adventure, cats of all personalities can find a purr-fect home here.
Top cat cafés in New York City
- Brooklyn Cat Cafe. 76 Montague Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
- Meow Parlour. 46 Hester Street, New York, NY.
- Meow Parlour Patisserie. 34 Ludlow Street, New York, NY.
- Koneko. 26 Clinton St., New York, NY.
New York City may be the best place for a dog, too. Or a squirrel. A dancer. A writer. A painter or anyone looking for possibilities. We’ll ask around and get back to you.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
Hypoallergenic Cats? Find your perfect feline friend
Many cat lovers are afraid to adopt because of allergic reactions, but there are plenty of hypoallergenic cats that are less likely to cause allergies. And everyone who wants to should have […]
Jackson Galaxy Cat Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes: No More Diarrhea, Vomiting, or Bad Breath for Your Kitty!
You’re a cat lover. You know that one of the most common problems pet owners face is digestive issues with their cats. Diarrhea, vomiting, bad breath – all can be signs that […]
20 questions your cat would never ask you, even if he could
Your cat happily lives with you. She’s your faithful friend and companion. At the same time, he has a full life of his own that you know very little about. She’d like […]
20 things your cat really wants to know, now please
You might think that cats have a lot of time on their paws, but your feline friend is probably wondering what you do all day. And more. Here are some of his […]
20 Ways Cats Are Not At All Like People
We all know that cats are not like people. But did you know that there are at least 20 distinct ways in which they differ? From their dietary habits to the way […]