Cats pee outside of the litter box for a variety of reasons. It could be that something is wrong, or maybe, your cat’s trying to tell you something. I’ve spent countless hours with dozens of cats, and no two are alike. Let’s take a look at some possibilities.
By Peter McCarthy
Why does my cat pee outside the litter box?
If your cat pees outside the litter box, he may need a check-up with your vet. An underlying medical condition might cause the behavior, and cats are masters at hiding illness or injury. But consider some simpler possibilities, first.
After all, the reason is as likely simple as complicated and expensive.
Cats are smart little investigators, always checking things out in detail, but their attention span is, according to Jackson Galaxy, “a nanosecond.” Boredom is a cat’s worst enemy, and your cat may just be letting you know he or she isn’t happy.
I always remind people to keep in mind that a cat can’t send out an interoffice memo or text you a message. He or she needs to communicate in the best way possible. And maybe that’s peeing outside the litter box. What else can they do?
A common cause, I’ve found, is easily overlooked. You’ve done all the right things, but even so, your cat just doesn’t like the litter box. Often, it’s the litter. One of our cats had trouble with the dust one brand created; so, we removed the lid. The problem disappeared.
Another, a friend’s cat was so terrified of a new litter box with a swinging door, she wouldn’t pee or poop in it. Must’ve looked like a trap to her. Taking off the top brought a deluge and great relief.
Always remember, your cat can’t drop a subtle hint in conversation nor can he or she ask a friend to clue you in. If your cat pees outside the litter box, think simple first. He or she probably does. Most cats don’t beat around the bush. They’re very direct.
- Environmental factors like new furniture or even a change in routine can worry that little animal depending on you for… well, everything. Cats mix independence with overwhelming dependence. It’s a riskier tightrope they walk than most people realize.
- An underlying medical condition, but that would never be my first guess. A medical condition would usually have other symptoms or indications.
- A location he or she distrusts may cause your cat to pee outside the litter box. You never know what might scare a cat. One of my most fearless cats runs away if you’re carrying a bag or coat or anything like that. My best guess is that it reminds him of how he got trapped or saw a loved one trapped. We may never know what provokes fear, but it may cause a lot of mysterious anxiety.
- Some cats are clean freaks and will not use a litter box that smells, even if it’s a lingering odor in the litter. Odor from another cat may also put your cat off.
If your cat is peeing out of stress or boredom at home.
Any change in routine can also stress out cats. Security for them means a predictable series of daily events. Your cat may pee outside the litter box just because your work shift changed or because you changed something in your routine he or she used as an anchor. Routine and predictability mean safety for your cat. Remember, you are the sole source of food, shelter and, maybe, companionship, making it easy for your cat to be frightened.
No matter what the cause, it’s important to stay positive and motivated when trying to get him or her back on track, using the litter box as they prefer and enjoy. Remember, when your cat pees outside the litter box, it’s no joy for her or him either.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- My cat pees outside the litter box…
Cats pee outside of the litter box for a variety of reasons. It could be that something is wrong, or maybe, your cat’s trying to tell you something. I’ve spent countless hours […]
Assorted Ideas, Large & Small It is really common for toddlers – and even older children – to be picky eaters. However, knowing that doesn’t make it any less frustrating when there’s […]
Addiction to television is a problem worsening with time, probably exacerbated by pandemic isolation, as people have more time to watch TV and fewer chances to get out of the house. By […]
In the past, food plans were created based on national averages. But as we now know, not everyone has the same needs and wants when it comes to their diet. More personalized […]
Did you know that there are a lot of different ways to tell the age of your cat? In this blog post, we will discuss three methods that you can use to […]